The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympics-style sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy, and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes and the community.
Volunteers support in each aspect of this mission, and Special Olympics Minnesota expects volunteers to uphold the following code of conduct while volunteering. The relationship between Special Olympics and volunteers is an “at will” arrangement, and termination can happen at any time without cause by either the volunteer or Special Olympics Minnesota.
Fulfill volunteer role
- Follow all expectations of volunteer role outlined in the volunteer job description.
- Provide for the general welfare, health, and safety of all Special Olympics Minnesota athletes and volunteers.
- Follow the established rules and guidelines of Special Olympics Minnesota and/or any agency involved with Special Olympics Minnesota.
- Report any emergencies or concerns to appropriate authorities after first taking action to ensure the health and safety of participants.
- Refrain from use of alcohol, substances, or nicotine.
- Refrain from promoting religious or political beliefs or preferences.
Offer continued opportunities to develop
- Praise athletes for efforts.
- Support event rules and fair play expectations as well as the decisions of event managers, referees, judges, and Special Olympics Minnesota staff.
- Request accommodations that should be made to ensure a successful volunteer experience and support the accommodations of others.
- Be open to learning new and inclusive ways of fulfilling your volunteer role.
- Be receptive to and implement feedback from event managers.
- Join in our mission and statewide effort to value the highest ideals of sports and inclusion. We’re glad to welcome you to the team and hope that you have an incredible experience!
Participate in the sharing of gifts
- Respect the dignity, talents and skills of each athlete and volunteer.
- Consider joining other areas of programming that highlight your talents!