- This event has passed.
CANCELED: Area 3 Trifecta (Basketball, Powerlifting & Swimming)
April 25, 2020 @ 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
Registration opens: February 15, 2020
Registration closes: April 12, 2020
Errors and exceptions due: April 19, 2020
Schedule is tentative based on athlete participation numbers
8:30-8:45 a.m. – Team registration/check in (cafeteria)
8:45 a.m. – Line up for Opening Ceremonies for all sports (cafeteria)
9 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies (gym)
9:45 a.m. – Swimming coaches meeting/Scratch meeting (gym)
10 a.m. – Basketball coaches meeting/Scratch meeting (gym)
10:30 a.m. – Basketball: Full & Half Court competition begins (gym)
10:30 a.m. – Basketball: Skills competition begins (gym)
10:30 a.m. – Powerlifting competition begins (weight room)
10:30 a.m. – Swimming competition begins (pool)
11 a.m.-1 p.m. – Lunch served (cafeteria)
Basketball is popular among Special Olympics athletes and is one of the most popular sports at Special Olympics. We offer team events along with individual skills competitions. Athletes can train and compete in basic skills before advancing to team play. Therefore, players of all ages and abilities have the opportunity to advance individual skills, work as a team and compete at various competitions.
Powerlifting is offered for exhibition purposes only and is not run by Special Olympics Minnesota.
Because of the wide array of events offered, swimming is appropriate for a range of ages and ability levels. Swimming competition events are conducted with a variety of strokes. Special Olympics also offers events that provide a meaningful competition environment for athletes who thrive in shorter events and/or are building toward more capacity. The development of these basic skills are necessary to progress to other competitive events.
Order of events
Combination 1 (Bench Press & Deadlift)
Combination 2 (Bench Press, Deadlift & Squat)
This is the same order as 2019. Please register your athletes accordingly. Races will not be held for athletes registered for back-to-back events.
15M Assisted Swim
30M Assisted Swim
(Lane markers installed)
25M Assisted Swim
100 M Breaststroke
50 M Flotation
50M Assisted Swim
400 M Freestyle
100 M Backstroke
100M Individual Medley
4x25M Freestyle Relay
4x25M Unified Relay
4x50M Freestyle Relay
4X50M Unified Relay
- All teams MUST submit assessment scores for each athlete and a Team Information sheet for each team. Registrations without these scores and evaluations will not be accepted. Team Info Sheet must be turned in by the Errors and Exceptions Deadline.
- The roster size is 4 minimum and 7 maximum for Half Court and 6 minimum and 16 maximum for Full Court. Rosters provided at the competition will be checked against those provided during registration.
- Athletes may only participate in either Individual Skills competition OR a team competition event (Full Court or Half Court).
- Please see the Special Olympics Minnesota Basketball Handbook (PDF) for more rules and guidelines.
- If an athlete will be competing in all lifts (Bench Press, Deadlift and Squat), select the event COMBINATION 2. If the athlete will be competing in the Bench Press and the Deadlift, select the event COMBINATION 1. If the athlete will only be doing an individual lift, please select the appropriate lift (example: Bench Press).
- A qualifying score will need to be entered for each event. For powerlifting, the qualifying score will be the athlete’s weight class.
- Please be sure your athletes are in the appropriate weight class. Example: if a male athlete weighs 135 pounds, he should be in the 145.5 weight class. If a male athlete weighs 129 pounds, he should be in the 130 weight class.
- Please see the Special Olympics Incorporated Powerlifting Rules (PDF) for more information.
- Athletes may enter three individual events and one relay.
- Events will be run in the order listed on the schedule. Please enter athletes in events accordingly. Only events listed on schedule will be offered.
- The 15 Meter Walk will be offered at Area, but NOT at the state competition.
- Relay teams: All relay teams must compete as a relay at the Area competition. Substitutions for athletes or Unified partners will not be allowed at the state competition.
- Please take note of the Assistance Needed categories listed and register your athletes accordingly.
- Please see the Special Olympics Minnesota Swimming Handbook (PDF) for more rules and guidelines.