Area 1/2 Unified Basketball
April 11, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Registration closes March 27, 2019.
Basketball is popular among Special Olympics athletes and is one of the most popular sports at Special Olympics. We offer team events along with individual skills competitions. Athletes can train and compete in basic skills before advancing to team play. Therefore, players of all ages and abilities have the opportunity to advance individual skills, work as a team and compete at various competitions.
In addition to traditional events, athletes can participate in Unified Sports full court events. Unified Sports assigns Special Olympics athletes and partners without intellectual disabilities to the same team. During Unified basketball competition, the lineup will never exceed three athletes and two partners at any time. At the state-level tournament during Summer Games, athletes can compete in either Unified competition or another basketball event.
Unified Basketball is offered at Regional and State Tournaments only since Area competitions do not have Unified events. The minimum age for athletes and partners in Unified Basketball is age 8.
9 a.m. – Registration (Rec Center Lobby)
9:30 a.m. – Referee meeting (courtside)
9:45 a.m. – Coaches meeting (courtside)
10 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies
10:15 a.m. – Competition begins for Full Court and Individual Skills
12 p.m. Lunch
Awards will follow after the completion of the competition.
Modified Individual Skills (Speed Dribble)
Half Court Competition
Unified Full Court Competition
1. All teams MUST submit assessment scores for each athlete, derived from the Basketball Player Evaluation Tool and a team information sheet for each team. Registrations without these scores and evaluations will not be accepted.
2. The roster size is 3 minimum and 6 maximum for Half Court and 5 minimum and 12 maximum for Full Court. Rosters provided at the competition will be checked against those provided during registration.
3. Athletes may participate in Individual Skills Competition and/or a Team Competition event (Full Court or Half Court). It is the coaches’ responsibility to ensure all athletes get their skills done. Individual skills scores must be submitted for competition.
4. Please see the Special Olympics Minnesota Basketball Handbook (PDF) for more rules and guidelines.
5. Athletes must be dressed in appropriate competition clothing.
6. There will be no divisioning rounds.
8. REMINDER!! The school and parking lots are SMOKE FREE AREAS.