Virtual Screenings recordings now available!
Watch the Healthy Hearing and Special Smiles Virtual Screenings held on January 29, 2022.
Special Olympics Healthy Athletes® offers free health screenings and education to Special Olympics athletes in a welcoming, fun environment.
Despite a mistaken belief that people with intellectual disabilities receive the same or better health care than others, they typically receive sub-standard care or virtually no health care at all. For every ten athletes on a Special Olympics team:
- 2 have never had an eye exam
- 4 need a new prescription for glasses
- 2 have potential hearing loss
- 4 have untreated tooth decay and 1–2 are in need of urgent dental care
- 2–3 have low bone density
- 6 are overweight and/or at risk for chronic health conditions
- 5 have problems with strength and 6 have problems with flexibility, placing them at risk for injury
- 5 have at least one kind of skin or nail condition
Healthy Athletes is not only a program for athletes but, through training and hands-on experience at screenings, it is a program for healthcare students and professionals to increase knowledge of best practices in caring for and communicating with people with intellectual disabilities.
In Minnesota, we offer health screenings in six disciplines:
Special Olympics Lions Clubs International
prevention & nutrition
Volunteer with Healthy Athletes
Join the more than 90,000 health care providers and students worldwide who have volunteered with the Healthy Athletes program.
Health Programs Coordinator