- This event has passed.
Area 3 Equestrian Competition
July 21, 2019 @ 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
Special Olympics Minnesota athletes who compete in the equestrian events learn to develop sports skills and gain the self-confidence to direct and control a horse. Athletes are able to compete in a variety of individual English and Western-style events and drill teams.
As in all Special Olympics sports, athletes are grouped in competition divisions according to ability level and age (athletes are not separated by gender).
9:30 a.m – Delegation registration
10 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies
10:30 a.m. – Competition begins
Awards will be presented at the conclusion of the event.
Showmanship at Halter/Bridle
Unified Drill Team
Western Working Trails
A1: Can perform all class requirements of Walk, Trot/Jog, Canter/Lope. Independent riders only.
B1: Can perform all class requirements of Walk, Trot/Jog. Independent riders only.
B3: Can perform all class requirements of Walk, Trot/Jog supported.
C1: Riders will walk only independently.
C2: Riders will walk only supported.
1. For the Equestrian State Competition, athletes may enter up to three events, but must choose either English or Western. At the Area 3 Competition, athletes can enter a total of five events.
2. Athletes must provide their own horse if registering for Showmanship and/or Unified Drill Team. Please let us know if you will be bringing your own horse or if you will need to use one provided by North Country R.I.D.E.
3. All horses MUST have a negative Coggins test.
4. An open mounting and dismounting area will be available. The mounting block is only accessible by stairs; there is no wheelchair ramp available for use.
5. Proper footwear is required for all riders.
6. Helmets are required for ALL athletes.
7. Bitless bridles are allowed. This is a change from previous years.
8. Showmanship at Halter and Showmanship at Bridle have been combined into one event. Please use the Showmanship at Halter event to enter athletes competing in this event.
9. All Trail Patterns will be sent as separate attachments.