- This event has passed.
CANCELED: Area 2 Swimming
Registration opens: February 15, 2020
Registration closes: April 2, 2020
Errors and exceptions due: April 9, 2020
8:30 a.m – Delegation check in and registration; warm up in the pool. Lifeguard must be present.
8:45 a.m. – Coaches Meeting (location TBD)
9 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies (pool deck)
9:30 a.m. – Competition begins
Lunch and awards follow competition.
Because of the wide array of events offered, swimming is appropriate for a range of ages and ability levels. Swimming competition events are conducted with a variety of strokes. Special Olympics also offers events that provide a meaningful competition environment for athletes who thrive in shorter events and/or are building toward more capacity. The development of these basic skills are necessary to progress to other competitive events.
In addition to traditional events, athletes can participate in Unified Sports relays. Unified Sports is a program that assigns Special Olympics athletes and athletes without intellectual disabilities (partners) to the same teams for training and competition. On a Unified relay, a team consists of two Special Olympics Minnesota athletes and two Unified partners.
As in all Special Olympics sports, athletes are grouped in competition divisions according to ability level, age and gender.
Order of events
15M Walk (Area Event Only)
15M Unassisted Swim
15M Assisted Swim
30M Assisted Swim
(Put in Lane Lines) 4x25M Freestyle Relay
4x50M Freestyle Relay
4x25M Unified Freestyle Relay
200 M Backstroke
25M Assisted Swim
100M Individual Medley
Lunch will be provided for athletes, partners, and coaches.
Awards will be given to coaches after the competition.
- Athletes may enter three individual events and one relay.
- Only coaches, athletes and volunteers are allowed on the pool deck. Spectators will not be allowed on the pool deck. There is a viewing area for all spectators up in the balcony.
- The tentative order of events run as listed. Changes may be necessary depending on registration.
- All Unified Relay Teams must compete as a relay at the area competition. Substitutions for Unified Partners will not be allowed at the State Competition.
- The 15M Walk will not be offered at the State Competition and will be done cross-pool.
- Dive Starts are not allowed.
- One hand touch (turns and finishes) for freestyle and backstroke. Two hand touch (turns and finishes) for breaststroke and butterfly.
- Relays: Each athlete must touch the wall to indicate the next athlete can go. It is not a hand-to-hand touch relay.
- Start commands:
- name of race (e.g., "15 meter float")
- "Swimmers take your mark”